Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Adieu, Adieu


It's amazing how much you can squeeze into three days in London. I've been to Harrods to buy some tea, English Breakfast No 14 Blend; to Portobello Road to visit the Hummingbird Bakery; to the National Gallery to see the Constables; to Carnaby Street because I was young in the '60s; to the Dickens House to honour a genius; to Mass at the extraordinary Westminster Cathedral; to Kensington Palace; Sloane Square; the Thames Embankment; Covent Garden Market and the Savoy Hotel.

Have I done it all? Sadly I've only just scratched the surface, but that's a great incentive to come back some day.

To complete the circle I, like Phileas Fogg, return to the Reform Club. It seems no time since first I gazed upon the discreet brass plate of 104 Pall Mall. Those eighty adventure filled days have come and gone.

As London rushes by, endlessly repeating the same journey, I am completing THE journey. I'm in love with this green and pleasant land but my time is up, so it's farewell my lovely, you have failed me not.

No comments:

Post a Comment